Posts with the tag OmniUpdate

  • University of Northern Colorado Map

    The new version of the University of Northern Colorado’s Map has launched! It includes many improvements over the previous version that I developed in 2008. We commissioned Map Formation to design an illustrated drawing of the campus that could be overlayed on top of Google Maps or OpenStreetMap. Using the Adobe Illustrator file they provided, I coded out the new map.

  • Checkin Gadget V1

    About two years ago I wrote a gadget that would check in files across all sites in OU Campus. We have been using it since then and it has worked great! Recently, however, we started using workflow and noticed that the gadget would check back in files that are under workflow, scheduled or set to expire. Obviously, this was a bug in the code. While reviewing the code recently to fix this bug it wasn’t going to be a quick easy fix. So, instead of hacking it together, I rewrote the gadget and have released it as Version 1!

  • OU Campus XSL Development for Production and Testing using GIT

    At the 2018 OU Conference in Anaheim California, I mentioned that I am using GIT to push XSL changes to both a testing and development XSL locations. Some folks expressed interest in this setup and wanted to know more about it. This post will hopefully answer some questions and help you determine what setup will work best for you.

  • Tackling Quality Control with XSL

    Tackling Quality Control with XSL first slide

  • OU Campus and Alexa Integration

    At the 2017 OmniUpdate Training Conference Hackathon a group created an application that would connect Amazon’s Alexa with OU Campus. The tweet to the right is a demonstration of asking Alexa to check in files for OU Campus. The application will also return the number of files checked out.

  • 2017 OmniUpdate User Training Conference

    Thanks for attending my session of Pulling in Content with OU Tags and Data Files at the 2017 OmniUpdate User Training Conference! Below are the resources that were mentioned in the presentation.

  • Add Google Event Tracking to Links in OU Campus

    The University of Northern Colorado has recently embraced all things analytics and as part of that we had a need to add event tracking code to buttons. The best use of this is when a pdf or document needs to be tracked. Since that content can’t have the analytics code, the link to it can fire an event that can be tracked in Google Analytics.

  • Removing Extensions with XSL to create SEO Friendly URLs

    Using a server rewrite, a url such as http://example.org/jesse could read from http://example.org/jesse.php. However, in the content management system the link would go to the .php version. How can the URL be rewritten from:

  • Create an A-Z directory with XSL

    In the previous tutorial, data was pulled into a page using OU Campus’ Tags. In this tutorial, data will be pulled in based on a folder location, sorted and then displayed.

  • Pull in Files using XSL and Tag Management in OU Campus

    The Library website at the University of Northern Colorado has a list of academic journals that they subscribe to. This list is constantly changing and needs to be updated by Library staff. The academic journals are organized in an A-Z listing as well as organized by subject. Each journal can belong to a single subject or multiple subjects.

  • CheckIn All Content Gadget

    April 27th, 2018 Update A new version of this gadget has been released!

  • Preventing users from adding JavaScript with XSL

    Our Content Management System, OmniUpdate, allows users to create reusable pieces of content called assets. As of this post, there are five different types of assets and two of them and two of them allow the user to add source code: Web Content and Source Code.

  • The Unpublished Gadget

    At the 2016 OmniUpdate Hackathon I joined a group of six people who built a gadget that unpublishes files from the web server. The idea started out as a simple sidebar gadget that when clicked would go to the production server and remove the file while keeping it on the staging server. After about two hours of coding the gadget was “completed”. At that point, if you unpublished a file and navigated a different page, the button was still disabled. This was a known bug and I reported it the next day. Yesterday I had sometime to fix this error and I believe the gadget is ready to be used.